Thursday, September 4, 2014

When Reality Hits


Have you ever had a moment that felt like time was standing still but also racing by at the same time? That's how I felt today when my son got a bo-bo. It was just like all the other ones that happen 10 times (or more) a day. He's playing, falls or runs into something, cries for a second, comes to get a mommy cuddle and then gets over and he's quickly on to his next activity. This time was no different, until I felt his little arms wrap around my shoulders when he came to get his little reassurance snuggle. His arm reached around to the middle of my back and all of the sudden, time stood still as I recalled how just a short time ago, his arms were so short that his fingertips couldn't even touch over the top of his head. Now his little arm was reaching around me, actually holding on to me and pulling me in. I soaked up the moment because I started feeling as though any second he was suddenly going to morph into this teenage boy, towering over me with big, heavy, muscular man arms.
While I am loving watching my little baby become a toddler and from there become a kid and so on, I am clinging to whatever little tiny bit of baby-ness there is left. I'm sure every mother feels the same way about her children. Each day he needs me less and less but I need him. I'm not ready to let go of the little kisses and hugs or him dragging his 'bankie' (blankie) around everywhere so that it's covered in dirt 5 minutes after I get it out of the dryer. These moments are so sweet, and so very fleeting. Now I understand why my parents say 'you'll always be my baby'. No matter how big and strong and manly my little baby boy becomes, to me, he truly will always be my baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment